- Change your light bulbs to LEDs.
- Wash your clothes in cold water whenever possible.
- Air seal your home. Sealing cracks, gaps and leaks and adding insulation can save up to 10% on home heating and cooling costs.
- Clean or replace all filters in your home regularly. Dirty filters make your system work harder and run longer than necessary.
- Control your fixtures with a photocell or a timer to assure dusk-to-dawn only operation of your outdoor lights.
- Don’t leave your electronics on all day long. Only turn on your computer, monitor, printer and fax machine when you need them.
- Set your thermostat to 78F in the summer and 68F in the winter – every degree of extra heating or cooling will increase energy usage 6% to 8%. Setting your thermostat to a lower temperature than normal will not cool your home faster.
- Using your ceiling fan will allow you to raise the thermostat setting about 4°F with no reduction in comfort.
- Refrigerators and freezers actually operate most efficiently when full, so keep your refrigerator and freezer as full as possible (using water bottles if nothing else). Be careful about overfilling them as this will reduce airflow and cause the appliance to work harder.
- Using dishwashers and clothes washers/dryers at night will keep the house cooler, reduce strain on the power grid during the peak usage hours of 4 PM and 6 PM and reduce the chance of an emergency!
- Don’t leave bathroom or kitchen ventilation fans running longer than necessary. They replace inside air with outside.
- Replace your windows. If your home has single-pane windows, consider replacing them with more energy efficient windows, or adding solar shades or tinting film.
- Install a programmable thermostat that will automatically adjust the temperature according to your schedule.
- Turn off the lights when they’re not in use. Lighting accounts for about 12% of a typical residential utility bill.
Prime Solar Energy Is Here To Help!
As you consider whether solar panels are a sound investment for your home, make sure you take into account cost, warranty, longevity and overall efficiency, but just know Prime Energy Solar will be here to help guide you thru the process. So the next time you are search solar company near me or solar panels near me, click on the local leader of Solar Polar Installation, click on Prime Energy Solar.